Monday, May 30, 2011

Volunteer Appreciation Cookies!

I was out walking Ellie this weekend on our usual route. We frequently see dog shelter volunteers jog by in sort of a parade with their neon vests and their smiling shelter dogs, most of them pits or pit mixes.
Gidget, one of the dogs currently available at the Seattle Animal Shelter
Every time I see them, I feel so appreciative because I know that they are at least 2-3 miles from the shelter which means they do a long jog!

Well, today, I saw them and was feeling particularly appreciative. They donate their time and their energy to make sure that these dogs get some extra love and exercise. I wanted to tell them "thank you". I wanted them to know that they are appreciated for all that they do. I wanted to give back.

I don't have the time or a regular schedule to volunteer jogging with the dogs, but I do have a skill that I would be happy to donate. My baking! I decided to make sugar cookies that I could bring to the shelter and give to the volunteers. So tonight, I put my mixer and my oven to work and made these cookies, and tomorrow I will write a thank you note and deliver them to the shelter.
What is your good deed for the week? Pass it on!


3 comments:

  1. Awww...that was so very nice of you to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the volunteer lead for the Get Fit with Fido program for the Seattle Animal Shelter, I just want to thank you for your wonderful note and cookies! The shelter staff and all of us on the Fido team were incredibly touched by this gesture. We've been running the dogs 3x a week for about a decade now and get to see first hand how many wonderful dogs find themselves orphaned for no fault of their own. And we are thrilled when we show up to run and find that one of our "favorite" is no longer there - because it was adopted out to a forever home!

    Thank you again for your thoughtful gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...you just warmed my heart...and made me hungry for cookies! I know the volunteers are going to feel extra grateful and enjoy your delicious cookies. Thanks for the inspiration -- I am ready to pass it on :)

    ReplyDelete