Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Adopt A Shelter Dog Month!

October is National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month! As much as I would love to add another furry four-legger to my home, my boyfriend would kill me so instead, I'm going to celebrate by sharing my adoption story of how Ellie came into my life.
I'll [try to] keep it short and sweet. ;)

Early Spring 2009, I was desperate for my own furry companion. I was on Petfinder daily, finding a few dogs that sounded sort-of okay, but not sure I wanted to settle.

Then one morning, on my daily Petfinder scouring routine, I saw a new dog called Keiki. She was the perfect size and temperament, and it even included a video of someone rubbing her belly. I was in love!

Fortunately, my boss allowed me to leave work early (at that time, I was an intern) and my sister allowed me to take her car (we carpooled) to drive 25 miles to the shelter.

The shelter didn't open until 2pm, and if I recall correctly, my boss said I could leave AT 2 which means I wouldn't get there until after it opened. But I have an amazing boyfriend who got his boss to let him leave so that he could arrive at the shelter right as it opened and place "dibs" on the dog.

Of course, when I saw her in person, she was everything I knew she would be; albeit a little crazy and antsy from being locked up in a cage. I remember noticing that her nails were miles long! Yikes!

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take her home that day because they had to send her to the vet to be spayed and vaccinated. I had to wait TWO WHOLE DAYS to bring her home, so needless to say, I didn't get much sleep those two days, but I did have time to stock up on all the necessary supplies!
Ellie's first picture! The car ride home from the shelter :)

And a year and a half later, me and my pup are living happily ever after (minus the separation anxiety). :)



4 comments:

  1. OMG! What a cutie...I LOVE ELLIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe!! Ellie's first picture!! You got so lucky, she is such a sweetheart and so dang smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie was definitely worth the wait! What a sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete