Monday, January 9, 2012

Dog Park Weekend

This weekend started off great because Chris and I did some apartment hunting! We expect to move in about a month and we are both really looking forward to it. :)

Ellie has been experiencing increasing separation anxiety lately and it is unfortunately accompanied by destructive behavior. So we have been stepping up our training to start working on manners.

She now has to wear a leash and walk right by my side everywhere we go, rather than being able to sprint down the hall unleashed when it's time for potty trips. She also has to sit and wait to go through doors, get on the elevator, etc. I'm hoping that tightening the reins will be a good first step towards teaching her that she doesn't run the show and always get her way!

The next step is desensitizing her to cues such as grabbing keys, zipping up a jacket or sweater, turning off the TV; all of which cause her to instantly shake like a leaf!

On the bright side, we made it back to the dog park this weekend! We haven't been there in a long time! My mom and step dad met us there with their three dogs (two Rat Terriers and one Beagle-Doxie mix). There were lots of dogs there and the weather was nice!
Panting from so much running!
Taking off to chase black dog. My mom's ratties Jackson and Dexter on the bottom.
Running back to mom after chasing black dog


4 comments:

  1. come on over and train Dakota for me! I think you would do an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like those teeny dog parks. Run run run
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about her separation anxiety... I hope that it lessens.

    Exciting news about your move, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the training will be a good thing and will help out.
    Congrats on the move, can't wait to see the new place. :)

    ReplyDelete